Friday, October 2, 2020

31 Nights O' Horror 2020

2020? Why stop at 31? Well, I started doing the horror movie per night last year and found it easier that I'd feared. Anyone who's read this blog even casually will know that this is my genre of choice so a full month of it should appear kind of heavenly to me, no? Well, yeah, but how to choose and when to play? It's a lot easier this time as I have been saving up a few things from recent acquisitions and keeping an eye on the VoDs. I made a short list the other eve and it was huge. I could do it just with new, unseen titles. 

So, it will be a mix but I can choose more carefully. The 4K Suspiria gets a place of honour somewhere on a weekend and titles like The Haunting or Invasion of the Bodysnatchers can be slotted anywhere at all when comfort viewing is the thing (oh, that one, too, either 50s or 80s Thing works well for me). But the real discovery lies in the ones that vy for my remote click with good tile art and engaging synopses. Again, still, I will choose something that presents itself as dire generic dreck. So what, it will probably be under 90 minutes and I can at least complain about it in a review. This is how I clicked on Satanic last year and was almost disappointed to find how good it is. The cruddiest Netflix tile and a goofy worn-numb title promised garbage but it's an increasingly poignant story of bad decisions and the fragility of youth and ends up both genuinely terrifying and heartrending. So, there's that.

Like last year, I'll be playing it by ear so I won't be listing recommendations here. I will, however, be reviewing hitherto unseen titles on the blog. Last night I started with the curio Night of the Demon. Recently released locally in Australia on Blu-Ray I saw the full UK edit for the first time. Beware, though, our release is the unrestored extra from the 2 disc set so, while it benefits from a higher resolution it's also quite rich in old print artefacts. Dig that? Well, it's a nice mid priced disc that will take you straight to the feature with zero fuss. Anyway, this was a fine and comfortable start.

Tonight? Who knows? You will, if it's new to me.

See you on the couch.


No comments:

Post a Comment