Thursday, September 17, 2020

Shadows Contactless: Friday 18 September 9pm, SBS on Demand and Messenger: DELICATESSEN

 

Add caption
I've only seen this once and when it was new. It's from so long ago and there have been so many movies since that I'm struggling to recall it. Except, of course, that there are scenes and images from it that might as well be from Youtube clips they are so well shared. Delicatessen is one of the arthouse staples from the early '90s that everyone had seen. If you had a Valhalla or Astor calendar on your fridge at the time and for a decade on you would recall the word in the thick typeface under the pig. Thing is I can recall it so little that I can't remember if I enjoyed it or just said I enjoyed it. It will almost be a first viewing.

What I can say is that this is the first feature of the team Jeunet and Caro who also gave us (together or apart) The City of Lost Children and Amelie. If you know them you know the deal. They get into a look and vibe like steampunk or comic book and tell extraordinary tales, never so cute that they can't also gross you out, never so gross that they can't also filter it through humour. Mostly, they offer invention, wit, visual wonder and engagement and invite you to the party. Let's go.


No comments:

Post a Comment