Wednesday, May 9, 2012

TOP 10 for 09/05/12

Dark Water

I like reading other people's top ten lists but never think to make my own. I harbour a profound fear that I'll disagree with it as soon as I post it. This is why I'm dating this series of posts. These will be my top ten movies on the date I draw it up. No pondering. Straight up listfilling. Feel free to add your own to this and each subsequent list. Might be interesting to see how a few of us change it.

Eraserhead - my favourite film from the first time I saw in in the early 80s to now. It has never been toppled.

Apocalypse Now - don't care about the politics or the fidelity to war history, this one seizes me and doesn't let go until it's done with me.

The Fall - this might end up being Tarsem's only great film but for this instance his extraordinary eye for colour and form was superbly backed by a good idea (a self-confessed steal from another film) and a pair of outstanding performances. Haven't known anyone left disappointed by this film.

Citizen Kane - I couldn't care less if anyone's sick of seeing this in top ten lists. It will probably always be in mine. Great strength of story, dialogue, performances and sheer cinematic virtuosity. I can watch it anytime.

The Exorcist - Because it works. Every time.

Martyrs - because I was scared of it and then had to watch it again to really see it. I think it's a masterpiece.

The Producers - it should be internationally illegal not to like this film.

Dark Water - the apex of a sub genre that changed the genre, J horror. Remembers that at the heart of any scarefest there must be real tragedy.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - subtle and spooky with very little actually happening, how to make a lot out of unknowing

Suspiria - works like a nightmare by refusing to hand control over to its audience. The only time it lags is when it does that very thing, during the "information session" between Udo Kier and Jessica Harper

So there you have it. What are yours for this week?

3 comments:

  1. The American Friend
    Pierrot Le Fou
    Citizen Kane
    Johnny Guitar
    Apocalypse Now
    Rio Bravo
    Grapes of Wrath
    Rear Window
    M
    In a Lonely Place

    Are ones I usually put in my ten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could change as soon as I have pressed the enter key so consider it more a list of films I have enjoyed immensely.

    The Fountain
    Yojimbo
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    The Apartment
    Fight Club
    Dead Man
    Sunshine
    Moon
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
    Waking Life

    I could easily go on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This could change...." That's the point of it, Steve, I'll be doing one per week. Thanks for your list and keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete